on / in / at the top-right corner

jorge1980

Spanish
¡Hola, amigos! Estoy documentando unas instrucciones técnicas de sistemas, y necesito poner "Verificar el número en la esquina superior derecha (de la pantalla)" y estoy en duda si tengo que utilizar:
"In the top-right corner"
"On the top-right corner"
"At the top-right corner"

¿Alguien podría ayudarme con esto? ¡Muchas gracias!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • donbill

English - American
    We also say "... at the upper right hand corner... "
    I also like 'upper'. But--and I don't want to complicate matters--I'd probably say 'in the upper right hand corner of the screen'. For some reason, I see this as something that is found or to be placed inside the confines of the screen. That brings up another issue: is the number already there, or is it to be put there as verification?

Wandering JJ

British English
    I also like 'upper'. But--and I don't want to complicate matters--I'd probably say 'in the upper right hand corner of the screen'. For some reason, I see this as something that is found or to be placed inside the confines of the screen. That brings up another issue: is the number already there, or is it to be put there as verification?
    I agree, if we are adding 'of the screen' I also would say 'in the upper RH corner... ' However, '... 'at the top right hand corner of the screen' also sounds good.

jorge1980

Spanish
    The number is already there

donbill

English - American

The number is already there
    I don't know what I'd say! I think either would work. If I were to read your document, I believe I would find equally acceptable 'in the upper right hand corner' or 'at the upper right hand corner'. I would more naturally say, I think, 'in'; but that could be purely personal preference. As I look at my computer screen right now, I see the hour: 11:36 AM., o sea, the hour is in the upper right hand corner.

It's an interesting question. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two.

Saludos

grubble

British English
    It's an interesting question. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two.
    Saludos
    I agree.

The only one that is definitely wrong is "on".

If you said "It is on the top-right corner" you would mean that 'it' is a physical object that is fixed to or balanced on the frame of the monitor"

DelaChón

EUR Spanish (Aragon)
    What about physical documents, such as compositions or photographs? For example, wouldn't you speak about writing "on the top right hand corner" of the sheet?...

< Previous | Next >