on/in the weekday evening

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I want to confirm which preposition is more idiomatic:

1) On the weekday evenings, without enough time, the activities would be only eating and watch shows.

2) In the weekday evenings, without enough time, the activities would be only eating and watch shows.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree that it should be "eating and watching".

I wouldn't use a preposition with that time expression. I would simply say "weekday evenings":

Weekday evenings, the activities would be only eating and watching shows.

The prepositional phrase 'without enough time' is awkward. I suppose it is supposed to modify 'weekday evenings', but it doesn't quite work.

Sun14

Chinese
    I agree that it should be "eating and watching".

I wouldn't use a preposition with that time expression. I would simply say "weekday evenings":

Weekday evenings, the activities would be only eating and watching shows.

The prepositional phrase 'without enough time' is awkward. I suppose it is supposed to modify 'weekday evenings', but it doesn't quite work.
    Thank you. How about:

Weekday evenings, the activities would be only eating and watch shows owing to the time limit.

I generally want to say that we could not take a trip weekday evening because we don't have enough time but we can do it on weekends.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    1) On the weekday evenings, without enough time, the activities would be only eating and watch shows.

I would use "on" as the preposition. Omitting it sounds a bit AE to me, whereas I think "in" is wrong.

So how about:
    1a) On weekday evenings, with limited time, the activities would be only eating and watching shows. :)

Sun14

Chinese

I would use "on" as the preposition. Omitting it sounds a bit AE to me, whereas I think "in" is wrong.

So how about:
    1a) On weekday evenings, with limited time, the activities would be only eating and watching shows. :)
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >