on joy...

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I think you could say "sb. does sth. on worries that". Similarly, do you think my following sentence makes sense and sounds natural? Could you specify the reason? Do you think I used "on joy" appropriately?

Oil prices fell to three-month lows this week on joys/optimistics/estimates that global supplies could not be affected.

• mjscott

American English
    Was the low reached more than once? If so, three-month lows. If it only got to ONE lowest price, then it is a three-month low.

I'm not sure what you mean by,
    on joys that global supplies could not be affected.
    on estimates that global supplies could not be affected.

...on optimistics that global supplies could not be affected. :cross:

I still am not clear as to what you mean by the other two possibilities.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks, mjscott!
    The original sentence written by a native speaker is like this:
    Oil prices soared to three-month highs this week on worries that global supplies could be affected after Iran vowed to continue its atomic programme despite new United Nations sanctions.

I want to express its opposite meaning and try to practice the phrase "on ...", so I wrote that sentence.
    How could I improve my sample sentence to express myself clearly?

GuitarMaestro

USA English
    Daniel: The original sentence as written is the best, but worries, of course, refers to new highs. You are talking about new lows, so you could either say " on estimates," as you did, or " ... this week on the expectation that global supplies ..." Generally, emotions such as joy or optimism don't fit in the very calculating world of finance - even though in the real world, emotions have a LOT to do with people's decisions and their financial outcomes.

GuitarMaestro

USA English
    Not really - but "lows," in plural, is a little vague, as mjscott said. You should say to a three month low, meaning the lowest price in three months.

Oil prices fell to a three-month low this week on estimates that global supplies would not be affected.

< Previous | Next >