On les a vus faire !

paulochine

CHINA CHINESE
hi,everyone!
Let's say:"On les a vus faire !" = "we've seen what they done!",or something like that,anyway,it doesn't matter.All I want to know is the "vus" is a verb here or what?If it is a verb,why it it got a "s" as plural, because it use the avoir as the verbes auxiliaires,and all I know only when you use the "etre" as verbes auxiliaires then you got the form-changing at the verb,but why here?
Thnaks a million!

• tigrette

French, France
    The rule that applies here is the Accord du Participe Passé.

This site (http://www.langue-fr.net/d/ppasse/5minutes.htm) sums it up quite well. The right question to ask is "Ai-je déjà écrit, au moment où j'écris le participe, ce qui est ou s'est", in other words, is the verb's object (COD) already mentionned in the sentence when I write the participe passé ?

In this case, the verb's object (COD) is les. So yes... it came before the verb, thus the plural.

Confused yet?

paulochine

CHINA CHINESE
    hehe! not yet!so you mean that all the participe passé has the nombre different,but htey got the genre different?
    thank you very much!

paulochine

CHINA CHINESE
    And when you say:"Il a éccrit beaucoup de romans",then you needn't to add a "s" at the "écrit",right?

le Fnake

France, French
    Hi there,

i just posted that answer in this thread :
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shereen
    Voila c'est comme ca:

Les chambres sont équipées.:tick:
    Nous les avons équipées.:cross:

It's "nous avons équipé les chambres (de meubles)" where the COD (complément d'objet direct) "les chambres" is after the verb "avons". So because it's the verb "avoir" (but not "être"), the participe passé remains singular

But, in "nous les avons équipées", "les" replaces "les chambres", and so is still considered as a COD. And, the french grammar tells that, when the COD is before the verb "avoir", the participe passé have to be agreed (?) : "les" is feminine plural => équipées.

Hope it helps
    So here, it will be :
    On a vu les enfants faire : "les enfants", COD, after the verb, so no agreement
    On les a vus faire : "les" replaces "les enfants", still COD and before the verb, so the participe passé has to be agreed.

< Previous | Next >