On our blessing back in 2007

< Previous | Next >

AskLang

Filipino
On our blessing back in 2007, GMA was the one who sponsored the event.

I've always thought that activities are preceded by the preposition 'in' but with this sentence I am trying to construct, I used 'on' because I thought that the reference was more on the day of the event. Was my analysis correct?

Thank you in advance.

• stevea

UK English
    I'd use "with our blessing" in this sentence. To me it means that you have approved GMA'a sponsorship of the event. I don't think it is conveying anything about timing other than they could not sponsor the event until after you gave your approval.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Sorry, does 'our blessing' refer to an event (eg house blessing, marriage blessing)? If so, stevea's 'with our blessing' means something different (with our approval).

If it is an event, I would phrase the whole thing differently: 'GMA was the one who sponsored our blessing back in 2007'.

stevea

UK English
    Sorry, does 'our blessing' refer to an event (eg house blessing, marriage blessing)? If so, stevea's 'with our blessing' means something different (with our approval).
    It may well do in some odd sense but it's not what I would think of in the first instance. If GMA is a religious organisation then maybe so but it sounds more like a commercial sponsor in this sentence.

AskLang

Filipino

If it is an event, I would phrase the whole thing differently: 'GMA was the one who sponsored our blessing back in 2007'.
    Thank you natkretep.

It may well do in some odd sense but it's not what I would think of in the first instance. If GMA is a religious organisation then maybe so but it sounds more like a commercial sponsor in this sentence.
    I'm sorry stevea, if I made the sentence sound confusing. Actually, GMA was friend to the owner of the resort, who voluntarily sponsored the house blessing. I made a duplication of the event in trying to start my sentence with it.

Thank you!

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Thanks, AskLang: in that case I would recommend the version that I gave. If you really want to isolate the 'blessing' for initial focus, you could say:

With reference to our (house) blessing back in 2007, it was GMA that ...
    which sounds rather formal. In speech, you might split it up:

You know the blessing back in 2007? It was GMA that ...

AskLang

Filipino
    By the way, is this sentence I just thought of also correct for this context?

For our blessing back in 2007, GMA did the sponsoring. - meaning ..
    For the blessing that we had back in 2007, GMA did the sponsoring.

Can the preposition 'for' work here?

Thanks again..

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I am amazed that nobody has yet asked for some context here. I still have no idea what sort of event this "blessing" is. Is it religious ?

The phrase "with X's blessing" "is used as much in a non -religious context to mean "with the approval of X" or "with the support of X".

Now, we know that "GMA" is an individual, not a company as I thought. Companies often sponsor events and people with help of various sorts, financial especially but it might be general encouragement.

I do not know what a "house blessing" is nor why somebody needs to sponsor it. It suggests to me that a priest or pastor came to bless a house. This house is in a "resort" - a holiday resort? I expect you are talking about a custom of your culture that everybody will at once understand. I suppose too that all English speakers involved will know what the topic is.

Is this a talk or are you writing an article ? What register are you using ? Should the tone and language be casual and friendly or rather formal ? The occasion and purpose also need to be considered: perhaps this is to acknowlege what a fine man GMA is, and thank him for being a good friend. If so, mention of GMA should come first.

For our blessing back in 2007, GMA did the sponsoring. - meaning ..
    For the blessing that we had back in 2007, GMA did the sponsoring.
    I don't think you need 'for' at all: "He sponsored the blessing.......".

Why not simply write "GMA sponsored (the blessing/ the house blessing/the blessing of our house in the resort/our blessing) in 2007".
    To focus on GMA and emphasis his ( whatever it is ), you can start with " It was GMA who sponsored ..............".

Hermione

stevea

UK English
    To focus on GMA and emphasis his ( whatever it is ), you can start with " It was GMA who sponsored ..............".
    This sounds clear to me.

What still sounds odd is sponsoring a blessing. Don't you just give a blessing?

< Previous | Next >