on our side of the aisle

< Previous | Next >

halmom

korean
What is the exact meaning of on our side of the aisle? Is it an idiom?

“The federal government has shut down 17 times before, sometimes when the Democrats were in control, sometimes with divided government,” said Representative Virginia Foxx, Republican of North Carolina. “What are we doing on our side of the aisle? We’re fighting for the American people.

(source :The NY Times)

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think this refers to the actual House Of Representatives (maybe the Senate?). I think the Democrats sit on one side of an aisle, and the Republicans sit on the other side of that aisle. I'm not positive, though.

So, it's a sort of rhetorical question. "What is our team doing?" ... Blah, Blah, Blah.

michael13

Chinese
    But the OP's topic says 'on our side of aisle'; can we just say OF AISLE, instead of OF AN/THE AISLE?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Actually, the OP uses "on our side of aisle", in the title.

Then, in the text it says "on our side of the aisle".

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    But the OP's topic says 'on our side of aisle'; can we just say OF AISLE, instead of OF AN/THE AISLE?
    No, you absolutely CANNOT say "on our side of aisle", and the OP's title is clearly an error (because the title does not match the text, as Perpend pointed out.)

"On our side of aisle", with no article, is simply not English. Since the chamber has one central aisle that serves as the divider between the seating areas of the two parties, the article to use is clearly "the", rather than "an", which would suggest there could be several significant aisles -- but there aren't.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >