on screen button

bossy79

Bilingual ''Italian-Italy'' and ''English-England''
Hi, how would you translate ''on screen buttons'' when refering to buttons you click on with your mouse. Would it just be ICONE??
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Based on this, that I found with Google:

...cliccare in basso a destra dello schermo sull’icona della connessione senza fili e selezionare...

it looks like "icona" is a good choice.

niklavjus

Italiano (Italia)
    I would suggest "i tasti/pulsanti/bottoni sullo schermo" since in Italian we use "icone" to translate "icons".

bossy79

Would you use the term on screen BUTTON in English??? I'm not sure of the word BUTTON... .

Last edited by a moderator:

niklavjus

Italiano (Italia)
    Would you use the term on screen BUTTON in English??? I'm not sure of the word BUTTON... .
    Please, can you explain clearly what you need to know? I thought it was a translation from English into Italian.
    What I can tell you is that all the words I suggested you (tasto, pulsante, bottone) are used in Italian to indicate on screen "buttons".

bossy79

Hi , sorry for the confusion, basically I am translating from Italian into English but on the Italian text i found ''on screen buttons'' , I am not sure if you can use ''buttons'' in English in this context.

niklavjus

Italiano (Italia)
    Hi , sorry for the confusion, basically I am translating from Italian into English but on the Italian text i found ''on screen buttons'' , I am not sure if you can use ''buttons'' in English in this context.
    Well, it sounds strange to me: "on screen buttons" it is not Italian for sure.
    Anyway, as far as I know "button" is widely used in English in IT context, but I'm not English native.
    I can only suggest you waiting for a better advice.

GavinW

British English
    I would leave the term in English. Personally, I have no problem imagining an "on-screen button". It's a picture of a button generated on the screen, which is maybe green or red, or whatever, and which says "Click on me" or "Start" or "Go" or "Search" or whatever.

But note the correct spelling: "on-screen button" (with the hyphen).

HTH

< Previous | Next >