On the Application of English Films in English Teaching

mcmay

Chinese
Hi, there. I was reading the thesis of one of my students when I puzzled over the title "On the Application of English Films in English Teaching". I wonder whether it is appropriate to use the word "Application" here and whether the word "film" should be in its singular or plural form.
Thank you in advance.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think in part it depends on the content of the thesis. What is it about?
    I think this title would be plausible, if the thesis was about how films might be used in a classroom:
    "On the Application of English Films to English Teaching [or, better, Teaching English]."

mcmay

Chinese
    Thank you, Beryl from Northallerton, for your timely reply. Although I'm not quite clear why you think 'application' is inapplicable here, I do agree with you that 'films' seems reasonable.

mcmay

Chinese
    Thank you, dear Cagey. It seems that whenever people here including me call for help, you're almost always present to give us your generous hand. I do appreciate the spirit of sharing, which has always been promoted by compassionate people like you here. Thank you again.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    > Although I'm not quite clear why you think 'application' is inapplicable here ...

Why? Because it means too many things when all that is meant is 'use' (rhyming with 'loose'), and, to a lesser extent, the preposition problem that Cagey pointed up.

< Previous | Next >