On the dot / o´clock

ANNY06

Spanish- Colombia
Hola Foreros: Como siempre pidiendo su ayuda!!!!!

Quiero saber si existe alguna diferencia entre ON THE DOT / O´CLOCK , o si tienen el mismo uso y/o significado. Ejemplo: SEE YOU TOMORROW AT TWO ON THE DOT/O´CLOCK. (Nos vemos mañana a las dos en punto)

De antemano, muchísimas gracias a todos!!!!

• bobobaby

Banned
    USA English
    On the dot significa exactamente o en punto. O'clock decimos solo para hablar de la hora sin minutos. Se puede usar on the dot tambien cuando habla de una hora y minutos. Por ejemplo: We are going to eat dinner at 5:30 on the dot. No antes ni despues. Tambien, se puede decir sharp. The bus leaves at 4:15 sharp.

Barbara S.

a las dos = at 2 o'clock
    a las dos en punto = at two on the dot.

At two on the dot means extremely punctually; it's not often used. When English speakers say 2 o'clock it is the equivalent of the Spanish 2 en punto - I mean we are punctual without having to be told.

gdmarcus

English, USA
    I disagree with Barbara a little on this point. Time is viewed so differently by different cultures and subcultures, so I can only speak for my sub-culture of Englsh speakers (Minnesotans and Californians). For my sub-culture, "on the dot" and "sharp" are not uncommon.

As Barbara noted, in work situations, in the EEUU, one is supposed to arrive "on the dot" even when it is not specified.

However, we do not necesarily arrive at social engagements "on the dot"; in fact, it's considered a bit gauche. In social situations, if one is invited for "six o'clock" one can show up at 6:15 or 6:30. In the rare event that it is important that one show up at precisely the hour specified for a social occasion (like a dinner cruise that leaves the dock) one needs to specify "arrive on the dot".

In other words, if someone takes the effort to say "on the dot" or "sharp, do not be late.

< Previous | Next >