On the edge of a tumultuous abyss

alibey71

Türkçe
"He [Sant’Elia] urged the embrace of radical mechanisa-tion within a dramatically extended vertical and three-dimensional imaginary of future cities. ‘The houses of concrete, glass and iron’, Sant’Elia urged, ‘must rise on the edge of a tumultuous abyss’. Instead of ground-level streets stretching ‘like a foot-mat level with the por-ter’s lodge’, future cities would instead ‘be linked by metal walkways and immensely fast escalators.’ ‘Let us throw away sidewalks, arcades, steps!’ he extolled. ‘Let us raise the level of the city!’"

What is the meaning of the emphasized phrase in this context?

The source: Vertical by Stephen Graham

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Alibey. This seems to be Sant'Elia's dramatic and strange way of expressing his idea that people should grow accustomed to entering buildings and walking between them far above the ground level where the buildings have their foundations. Unless each building was built on some kind of elevated platform, I can't imagine what else that exhortation could mean.

Last edited:

alibey71

Türkçe
    Hello, Alibey. This seems to be Sant'Elia's dramatic and strange way of expressing his idea that people should grow accustomed to entering buildings and walking between them far above the ground level where the buildings have their foundations. Unless each building was built on some kind of elevated platform, I can't imagine what else that exhortation could mean.
    Hello, owlman5, and It's good to "hear your voice" again. And thanks a lot, I think you're right.

< Previous | Next >