on the extent to

abre

French
Hi, 👋
"the study focuses on the extent to which social media tools have displaced other forms of office communication, notably email and in-person interactions. " I have seen "to a extent" , but here on the extent to which ? i dont understand it .So if i simplify it , A study forcus on the extent to which b has done sth , what does it mean ?

Thanks a lot in advance !🙏

• grassy

Polish
    You could paraphrase "the extent to which" as "to what extent", i.e. whether social media tools have completely displaced those other forms or maybe only partly replaced them.

abre

French
    So Can i say :"the study focuses on the extent to what social media tools have displaced other forms of office communication, notably email and in-person interactions."If not, what’s the difference between what and which here? :)

abre

French
    I thought if using what then it should be to what extent,if using which then there is no need for extent just which would be fine.
    I don’t know if I am wrong in this way

heypresto

English - England
    If you want to use 'what', then you need to rewrite the sentence as 'The study focuses on to what extent social media tools have . . . '

But the original sentence sounds a lot more likely.