on the fall

< Previous | Next >

Meritzias

Turkish
Hello,

What does "fly on the fall" mean here?

I shift my gaze. From the glasses on the table to a freakishly loud fly on the fall.

It's a kind of anonymous story, so I can't give any source or writer name.

• lingobingo

English - England
    It could be a typo for “fly on the wall” (although presumably that would be meant as a pun).

Or “on the fall” could conceivably mean in the process of falling. But that, too, seems very odd.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I don't think "fall" has any common meaning in a domestic setting. It could refer to something that hangs down, but usually this would be explicitly named, such as a fall of hair, and in a technical usage it could be a rope that you pull on, but this is unlikely where there are glasses on a table.

Conceivably the fly is in the process of falling; it is a legitimate use, but not very common, and a fly is more likely to be making a loud noise if it is struggling to fly than if it is sat on a wall, where they are usually quiet, at least, the ones I have experience of are.

Meritzias

Turkish
    Maybe whole text gives some clues:

I shift my gaze. From the glasses on the table to a freakishly loud fly on the fall. Nothing else happens. It is exactly these moments of silence when it's most obvious that I don't have a boyfriend to cuddle with.

< Previous | Next >