on the First.

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me...
I've found the following sentence in a book (early XX century). There's a young man who consider the opportunity of killing his father (however, he's joking) and he says to a friend:

'[...]Unless you want me to shoot the old man by accident when we go out on the First.’

What does "on the First" mean? The word "First" is written with a capital letter.

Thank you very much!

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    What book? The First refers to a date, the first of some month. Whatever country this is set in has a holiday name "the First of X'.

sound shift

English - England
    Perhaps it means the first day of one of the hunting seasons. (Pheasant? Grouse? Partridge?) These seasons have fixed, "official" dates, which might explain the capital "F" in "First".

Last edited:

Resa Reader

Perhaps it means "the first day of one of the hunting seasons" (Pheasant? Grouse? Partridge?) These seasons have fixed, "official" dates, which might expain the capital "F" in first.
    This was also my first idea. I also think that it may have to do something with hunting. Where else can you shoot someone accidentally?

Last edited:
    Perhaps it means the first day of one of the hunting seasons. (Pheasant? Grouse? Partridge?) These seasons have fixed, "official" dates, which might explain the capital "F" in "First".
    This was also my first idea. I also think that it may have to do something with hunting. Where else can you shoot someone accidentally?
    All of this makes a lot of sense.
    Hunting could be a perfect setting for an accidental killing, AND it is an activity in which the characters of the book are sometimes involved.
    So, thank you all!!! Your help is invaluable.

< Previous | Next >