on the level of

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
. " We tend to lump animals in as non-thinking, non-sensitive, unintelligent beings, and if we can just get by that barrier and see them for what they are. They are very much on the level of us and it could be a simple step forward in understanding animals just to make that leap and be able to appreciate them for what they are"

How do you understand this sentence ? Could you please rephrase it so I can understand it ?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    . " We tend to lump animals in as non-thinking, non-sensitive, unintelligent beings, and if we can just get by that barrier and see them for what they are. They are very much on the level of us and it could be a simple step forward in understanding animals just to make that leap and be able to appreciate them for what they are"

How do you understand this sentence ? Could you please rephrase it so I can understand it ?

You might, more commonly, hear it said as "...on the same level". It simply means that the writer believes that our intelligences are comparitive (can't say that I agree, though...:))

bibliolept

AE, Español
    The writer is suggesting that we should not consider humans as being "above" animals, but that we should take into consideration those things we have in common and in some ways think of humans as very similar to animals.

I would add that there are a number of mistakes or uncommon phrasings in this text. It would sound more natural if the writer said "they are very much on the same level as"

Matching Mole

England, English
    "They are very much on the level of us" means that they are our equals (in terms of feelings, sensitivity and such; the writer even seems to be suggesting they are as intelligent as we are!).

These sentences (the first is not a sentence as it is unfinished) are not very well written, and seem not to have been written by someone proficient in English, so I can understand why you might have problems understanding them.

timpeac

English (England)

Was the original sentence written by a native speaker? It seems very odd to me in several places, the main thing being that the first sentence isn't a full sentence "and if we can just get by that barrier and see them for what they are" just doesn't make sense followed by a full-stop.

Edit - written at same time as the posts above!:)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    You might, more commonly, hear it said as "...on the same level". It simply means that the writer believes that our intelligences are comparitive (can't say that I agree, though...:))

I don't see how you can say that the writer is specifically referring to our comparative intelligence. If anything, the writer is likely trying to refer to more abstruse and indefinable, touchy-feely or qualitative characteristics.