on (the) Mother Earth

< Previous | Next >

Ptak

Rußland
Hello all,

If I mean the planet, it's "on Earth", without an article. But if I want to say "on mother Earth" (for example, I'm on Mars and I say "Let's fly on mother Earth!") - is "the" needed here or not?

Thank you.

• belle_gique

Scotland (English Language)
    Ok it's probably better to say "let's fly to the mother planet, Earth" because:
    1. you fly to somewhere, not on somewhere
    2. "mother Earth" sounds a little bit strange; without "planet", it is ambiguous (as if you have a mother and her name is Earth).
    3. as far as I can tell, the construction is common in sci-fi, like "let's go back to the mother ship X" etc.

So I think "let's fly to the mother planet, Earth" is best ... what do you think?

Ptak

Rußland
    Ok it's probably better to say "let's fly to the mother planet, Earth" because:
    1. you fly to somewhere, not on somewhere
    2. "mother Earth" sounds a little bit strange; without "planet", it is ambiguous (as if you have a mother and her name is Earth).
    3. as far as I can tell, the construction is common in sci-fi, like "let's go back to the mother ship X" etc.

So I think "let's fly to the mother planet, Earth" is best ... what do you think?
    2) It's clear from the context that it means the planet.

Ok, another example:
    (two person are on Mars)
    - Give me back my 10 dollars.
    - On (the?) Mother Earth you'll get them.

belle_gique

Scotland (English Language)
    Hi again :)
    if it's clear from the context, you don't need "planet". Just "to Mother Earth" is fine. Then, for your example;
    - give me back my 10 dollars!
    - on Mother Earth you'll get them
    You can leave the article. However, I think it sounds more natural to say it in this order: "You'll get them on Mother Earth". Is that ok?

< Previous | Next >