on the old ship of Zion

< Previous | Next >

perpend

Banned
American English
... he was sailing out on the old ship of Zion ...

The source is what I heard from viewing "Boardwalk Empire".

The scene is a funeral where the preacher is talking about the deceased person.

I got nothing. What does this mean?

• fiercediva

American English
    It means the deceased is on his way to Heaven. The reference is a 19th century Christian gospel hymn "Old Ship of Zion" (in the public domain):

"I was standing by the banks of a river
    Looking out over lifes troubled seas
    When I saw an old ship that was sailing
    Is that the old ship of Zion I see

< ----- >

<< Complete lyrics:
    Gospel Music Lyrics: Old Ship Of Zion >>

Last edited by a moderator:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I know I know I know. You can google everything to death nowadays. I prefer/opt to get WR knowledge, Myridon, and frankly to see what people think this term means. Is that a crime? :)

So, how does "heaven" relate to "Zion", fiercediva. Thanks a lot for those stanzas.

I grew up Catholic, but I honestly cannot translate (into my brain) what that even means (the text you have included).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I prefer/opt to get WR knowledge,
    You mean you prefer to get others to do your googling for you, eh?

"The term Tzion came to designate the area of Jerusalem where the fortress stood, and later became a metonym for Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, the city of Jerusalem and "the World to Come", the Jewish understanding of the hereafter."
    Source: Wikipedia, Zion

"The hereafter" as defined by the dictionary is "existence after death".

fiercediva

American English
    You mean you prefer to get others to do your googling for you, eh?

"The term Tzion came to designate the area of Jerusalem where the fortress stood, and later became a metonym for Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, the city of Jerusalem and "the World to Come", the Jewish understanding of the hereafter."
    Source: Wikipedia, Zion

"The hereafter" as defined by the dictionary is "existence after death".
    Yeah, we Protestants don't have that ex-biblical Purgatory stopover and just go straight for the end game! ;-) Zion is a synonym for Jerusalem, and in Revelations after the apocalypse and the Judgment, God is supposed to create a new heaven and a new Earth, and a New Jerusalem and rebuild the Temple. So the afterlife in heaven is likened to being conveyed to the New Jerusalem in the hymn. Other religious traditions before and after Christianity have the idea of death as crossing a river from life to the afterlife, and the concept of Zion appears in belief systems as disparate as Mormonism and Rastafarianism.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Thanks again, fiercediva. Much appreciated! I'm miffed that parts were deleted.

I'm thankful for #6 and for your voice!

< Previous | Next >