on the same wavelength

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

This is a tricky question but I understand that "on the same wavelength" means understanding each other, communicating clearly. This phrase is the same thing as "on the same track".

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Antonio said:
    This is a tricky question but I understand that "on the same wavelength" means understanding each other, communicating clearly. This phrase is the same thing as "on the same track".
    Yes.
    Ellos están en la misma onda. = They are on the same wavelength.

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    "On the same wavelength" <-- slightly more popular
    "On the same track"

It is also common to say "On the right track", meaning you are doing a good job, or you understand. For example, I can respond to your posts like this:

Antonio said:
    Hi Group,
    Yes, Antonio, you are on the right track.

bofico

USA-English
    hard to say. but there's a new "kid" in town, which didn't used to be around ten years ago. I don't know where, or when, it came from:

"on the same wavelength" = "on the same track" = "on the same page"

"I just want to make sure we are on the same wavelength/track/page."

If you want to add a little pizzazz to your english, i would say "on the same page" is a bit trendier.

Sharon

United States, English
    No, I beg to differ. "on the same track" and "on the same page" are the same, Antonio. As VenusEnvy said, "on the right track" means you are doing a good job. (Two people can be on the same page, and not be on the right track !!)

[/QUOTE]

Sharon

United States, English
    So, If I say "on the right track" and "on the same page" also works and people can understand what I am saying?
    Well, let's see if this works. Above should be your comment that made me reply, Antonio.

Sharon

United States, English
    Oh, what I was not positive about what how to quote you in my reply.I tried to quote you in post # 10, but didn't know how!
    What I'm saying is that "on the same page," "on the same track," and "on the same wavelength" all express the same idea. Two (or more) people have an understanding of each other, and/or are working toward the same goal. (Although I think "track" is used more to express a goal - it implies that there is a destination.)
    "On the right track" means that you are doing a good job. Hope this helps!

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    So Sharon is right. on the same page/on the same track/on the same wavelength is the same thing. I totally agree with her; But it's totally different meaning that "on the right track and "on track", right?

For me, it doesn't sound so good to say, for example "Yeah Matt, and on the right track, and then you add a comment, bla, bla, bla" I think this is more used in the context that Sharon said previously, right?

If I am right or if I am wrong, please let me know.

Sharon

United States, English
    Did you mean you type, "Matt and I are on the right track? If so, then yes, that would make sense.

Also, I do not mean to be picky, but this is something you should know. In Spanish, the word for making unequal comparisons is "que," which basically translates into "that" To quote you, "But it's totally different meaning that "on the right track and "on track", right?"

In English, in order to make unequal comparisons, we use the word "than." Examples:

"I am a better driver than you."
    "I admire no one more than my parents."
    "I would rather read than jog."

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Sharon,

Your sentence makes sense, but what about this sentence:

For me, it doesn't sound so good to say, for example "Yeah Matt, and on the right track, and then you add a comment, bla, bla, bla".

From my point of view, is way better and it sounds better, the previous examples that you gave me.

But if I am right or if I am wrong, please let me know.

Maru

Argentina/español
    Antonio said:
    Sharon,

Your sentence makes sense, but what about this sentence:

For me, it doesn't sound so good to say, for example "Yeah Matt, and on the right track, and then you add a comment, bla, bla, bla".

From my point of view, is way better and it sounds better, the previous examples that you gave me.

Hi, I would like to understand your question, but I can't

Maybe you're trying to say:

"Matt is on the right track", and then you add a comment, bla, bla, bla?????

Sharon

United States, English
    This might get confusing, and I am sorry. If my Spanish was better, I might try it, but I am afraid I would complicate it more. Can anyone help?

If two people are talking, and one makes a statement, for example, "Yeah, Matt, it's going to rain today." They can then follow that statement with, "On the same track, I should (take my umbrella.) or (close the windows.) or (not wash the car.) or any number of things that follow the same line of thought. Therefore, the "train of thoughts" are on the same track.

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish

From my point of view, is way better and it sounds better, the previous examples that you gave me. But I don't know about this example that I gave you.

Maru

Argentina/español
    Sharon said:
    This might get confusing, and I am sorry. If my Spanish was better, I might try it, but I am afraid I would complicate it more. Can anyone help?

If two people are talking, and one makes a statement, for example, "Yeah, Matt, it's going to rain today." They can then follow that statement with, "On the same track, I should (take my umbrella.) or (close the windows.) or (not wash the car.) or any number of things that follow the same line of thought. Therefore, the "train of thoughts" are on the same track.
    Please give us an example of "in the right track"

Sharon

United States, English
    Maru, do you mean on the right track?

The best one I can come up with on short notice is this. A friend of mine has a birthday coming up, and I told them I got them a present. (I got them a sapphire necklace.) They start asking, "What did you get me?" and I tell them, "You have to guess." They :"A new car?" Me: "No." They: "A book?" Me: "No" They:"A diamond necklace?" Me:"No, but you are on the right track." This means they are not right, but they are getting closer to being right.

Maru

Argentina/español
    Sharon said:
    Maru, do you mean on the right track?

The best one I can come up with on short notice is this. A friend of mine has a birthday coming up, and I told them I got them a present. (I got them a sapphire necklace.) They start asking, "What did you get me?" and I tell them, "You have to guess." They :"A new car?" Me: "No." They: "A book?" Me: "No" They:"A diamond necklace?" Me:"No, but you are on the right track." This means they are not right, but they are getting closer to being right.
    Thank you, now I understand!

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Is this term only used for describing a general behavior or shared understanding between people?

Would you use "we are on the same wavelength" if we agree on a specific thing? like we both agree to go to that restaurant downtown tonight, would you say "we're on the same wavelength"?

< Previous | Next >