On the sheer western face of the mountains?

< Previous | Next >

Rigardo Lee

If you execute a difficult action or movement, you successfully perform it.
I executed the hairpin turn high on the sheer western face of the mountains.

I got it from Collins Dictionary.

And I'm wondering what it exactly means by the red part.

My understanding is that a traveler is climbing up a "ridge", which has two steep cliffs facing east and west.

Then he made a sharp turn there on the right western point, addressing no information of eastern part in the context.

I really wish to hear your opinion.

• Barque

Tamil
    Mountains can have sides, the slope that goes up to the summit. These can also be called "faces".
    face (WR dictionary): a steep side of a mountain, bounded by ridges.
    However I don't think it necessarily has to be "bounded by ridges", though it might go up and end at a ridge.

Here, one side of mountain faced the west - the western face.

It was sheer which means "very steep" in this context (this meaning is in the WR dictionary).

I executed the hairpin turn high on the sheer western face of the mountains.
    I believe it should be "mountain". I understand it as meaning he was on the steep western side of the mountain and executed a hairpin turn there.

Last edited:

Rigardo Lee

Mountains can have sides, the slope that goes up to the summit. These can also be called "faces".
    face (WR dictionary): a steep side of a mountain, bounded by ridges.
    However I don't think it necessarily has to be "bounded by ridges", though it might go up and end at a ridge.

Here, one side of mountain faced the west - the western face.

It was sheer which means "very steep" in this context (this meaning is in the WR dictionary).

I believe it should be "mountain". I understand it as meaning he was on the steep western side of the mountain and executed a hairpin turn there.

Really thank you.

< Previous | Next >