on the <subjection>

< Previous | Next >

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

"Many Things have been said, and very well undoubtedly, on the Subjection in which we should preserve our Bodies to the Government of our Understanding; but enough has not been said upon the Restraint which our bodily Necessities ought to lay on the extravagant Sublimities, and excentrick Rovings of our Minds. The Body, or as some love to call it, our inferior Nature, is wiser in its own plain Way, and attends its own Business more directly than the Mind with all its boasted Subtilty."

Vindication of Natural Society

How am I supposed to understand the underlined "subjection"? It seems like "the topic." But I am not sure.

Thanks

Gil

• gil12345

chinese
    The word is correctly defined in our dictionary: "the act of subjecting; the state or fact of being subjected." It's relation to the verb "to subject," not the noun "a subject."
    I did suspect that. I just found the expression unusual. Then the clause roughly means we subject our bodily needs to our government. Am I right? Thanks

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It means we become subjects with our bodies. We have to do what the government says, or be jailed or killed {these affect the body!}.
    You're misinterpreting "government," unfortunately. "The Subjection in which we should preserve our Bodies to the Government of our Understanding" means that our understanding should govern our bodies; i.e., we should subject our bodies to being governed by our rational minds.

gil12345

chinese
    You're misinterpreting "government," unfortunately. "The Subjection in which we should preserve our Bodies to the Government of our Understanding" means that our understanding should govern our bodies; i.e., we should subject our bodies to being governed by our rational minds.
    Is it better to use "put" to replace "preserve"?

< Previous | Next >