on/under cocaine

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
— Have you ever fucked on cocaine, Nick? It's nice.
Basic Instinct, movie

I think it should have been "under cocaine", as in "under (the influence of) cocaine". I.e., after you had a dose of cocaine.

"On cocaine" means being in a habit of using cocaine, and so the OP means "Have you ever fucked while being a cocaine-addicted?"

Do you agree with that?
Thanks.

• Myridon

English - US
    No. It's correct as is. "(while) on <drug>" also means "while taking drug." You can be under the influence of a drug, but you cannot be under a drug (unless you balance the bottle on your head ;)).

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "On cocaine" doesn't mean that the person has a habit of using cocaine. It just means that he or she is feeling the effects of cocaine right now.

Cross-posted.

Myridon

English - US
    You can be on a drug that has no perceptible effects.
    If you use "for" to look for a duration, you're obviously going to find a duration. Look for just "on cocaine".

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    It's not different in the way we speak about it. They're both drugs.

We are never "under drugs/painkillers". It's always "on".
    I.e. theoretically/grammatically, the OP could mean both, and only logic tells that it's one and not other, right?...

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I.e. theoretically/grammatically, the OP could mean both, and only logic tells that it's one and not other, right?...
    The OP mentions cocaine specifically so we know what it is. I don't understand this comment.
    I took my girlfriend to the emergency room because she had a bad reaction when were both on LSD.
    I had to be on antibiotics for two weeks to get rid of that infection.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The OP mentions cocaine specifically so we know what it is. I don't understand this comment.
    I took my girlfriend to the emergency room because she had a bad reaction when were both on LSD.
    I had to be on antibiotics for two weeks to get rid of that infection.
    I meant the meaning as in your second sentence.

E.g.: "Did you ever f***k during that year when you were on cocaine, Nick? It's nice." The meaning's been changed, right?

Myridon

English - US
    E.g.: "Did you ever f***k during that year when you were on cocaine, Nick? It's nice." The meaning's been changed, right?
    It's the same as "Did you ever f*ck during that year when you were on a gluten-free diet?" You can be on a drug for a single dose (a short period of time) or over a longer period of time.

< Previous | Next >