On/Under one's authority

• The Newt

English - US
    "On my authority" suggests "with my approval"; "under my authority" (if we used it at all) might be taken to mean something vaguer, like "while operating as my subordinate."

We can help you more if you tell us what you want the sentence to mean.

"On my authority" suggests "with my approval"; "under my authority" (if we used it at all) might be taken to mean something vaguer, like "while operating as my subordinate."

We can help you more if you tell us what you want the sentence to mean.
    I meant, which one should I choose in this sentence?
    Why did he do that?
    He did it on/under my authority.

The thing is, I can find "under someone's authority" in Merriam-Webster but can't find anything for "on someone's authority".
    And I have heard both of them so I don't know whether they convey different meanings, or are different ways of saying the same thing or maybe one of them is completely wrong.

heypresto

English - England
    Re-read The Newt's post. Did 'he' do it with 'my' approval, or did 'he' do it while operating as 'my' subordinate? Without knowing what you want to say, it's impossible to say which one you should choose.

Who is 'he', and what relationship does he have with 'me'. What did he do? And why?

Re-read The Newt's post. Did 'he' do it with 'my' approval, or did 'he' do it while operating as 'my' subordinate? Without knowing what you want to say, it's impossible to say which one you should choose.

Who is 'he', and what relationship does he have with 'me'. What did he do? And why?
    Check this:
    Definition of UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF
    It says that "under the authority of" means with the permission of someone (in power) not under their power. This is what sorta confused me.

< Previous | Next >