on which they draw

< Previous | Next >

textortextel

Spanish
Together with the analyses of Husserl on which they draw, these early contributions to phenomenology constitute perhaps the most impressive body of work.

Alguien podría ayudarme con Draw. Busque en varios diccionarios y no entiendo que significado tiene aquí

• securehope

English - USA
    It is a phrasal verb: "to draw on."

Perhaps it is easier to understand if the sentence is rephrased:

These early contributions to phenomenology draw on the analyses of Husserl, and together, they [both the early contributions and Husserl's analyses] constitute perhaps the most impressive body of work.

It means that the authors of "these early contributions to phenomenology" used Husserl's analyses as sources for their work.

securehope

English - USA
    Since that sentence is a little difficult, I'll give a couple of examples of "to draw on" in a more everyday context, too.

(The spanish is just my best guess at a rough translation, but I'll leave it to the native speakers to interpret the uses definitively.)

He drew on all his medical knowledge in order to keep the victim alive. (=refirir a)
    I think we can draw on Bob's experience to infer that we shouldn't take that course of action. (=aprender de)
    Drawing on the fact that her mother and grandmother were insane, you should have realized that she would be mentally unstable as well. (=inferir de)
    He drew heavily on the work of Freud to write his Master's thesis. (=citar, usar como fuente)

lairlandesa

English Ireland
    Together with the analyses of Husserl on which they draw, these early contributions to phenomenology constitute perhaps the most impressive body of work.

Alguien podría ayudarme con Draw. Busque en varios diccionarios y no entiendo que significado tiene aquí
    my try
    Junto con los análisis de Husserl, de los cuales se valen, éstas contribuciones ..............

< Previous | Next >