oncoming traffic

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
HI,
"Trees that block the view of oncoming traffic should be cut down."
I know this sentence is correct but I wonder if I could change "oncoming" with "coming" and put it behind "traffic". If it is grammatically correct, would I make the sentence better or worse?
"Trees that block the view of traffic coming should be cut down."
Thanks.

• pieanne

Belgium/French
    I wouldn't put "coming" after "traffic" unless it's followed by a complement (traffic coming from XXX). It's used as an adjective, so should be before the noun.
    BTW, "oncoming" makes more sense (I think) than "coming"

dn88

Polish
    I wouldn't put "coming" after "traffic" unless it's followed by a complement (traffic coming from XXX). It's used as an adjective, so should be before the noun.
    BTW, "oncoming" makes more sense (I think) than "coming"
    I agree, if you say "Trees that block the view of traffic coming should be cut down.", the sentence seems incomplete.

Macsito

US
    French - France
    "oncoming traffic" makes more sense, but I don't know how to explain it.:(
    Otherwise you would need to clarify from where: "Trees that block the view of traffic coming from the north should be cut down." But still, it sounds awkward.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you very much.
    I am thinking of these sentences. I let you know then please tell me if I am correct. I won't use "oncoming"
    1. Trees that block the view of traffic coming towards you should be cut down.
    2. Trees that block the view of traffic which comes towards you should be cut down.
    I think "you" shoud be replaced with other word but I don't know which is suitable.
    I also wonder if I could use "vehicles" instead of "traffic" in this context.
    Thank you very much for helping me.

dn88

Polish
    Thank you very much.
    I am thinking of these sentences. I let you know then please tell me if I am correct. I won't use "oncoming"
    1. Trees that block the view of traffic coming towards you should be cut down.
    2. Trees that block the view of traffic which comes towards you should be cut down.
    I think "you" shoud be replaced with other word but I don't know which is suitable.
    I also wonder if I could use "vehicles" instead of "traffic" in this context.
    Thank you very much for helping me.
    You could say that but is seems far too complicated, since "oncoming traffic" already conveys the idea of "traffic coming towards you", so I really do think there's no need to use the latter expression. And you could use "the view of oncoming vehicles" - that won't change the meaning much.

< Previous | Next >