One can imagine someone agreeing

Syntexte

Français
Bonjour à tous,

Je cherche à traduire le début de phrase suivante:
One can imagine someone agreeing the arguments de Kant, but denying...
Ma proposition : On peut imaginer que quelqu'un accepte les arguments de Kant...

Je trouve que "on peut imaginer que quelqu'un" est loin d'être élégant

• lumino

English - Australia
    I agree with your translation. Even in English the phrase is a bit literary, and you would not say this in everyday conversation.
    Perhaps you would prefer "Quelqu'un pourrait accepter les arguments de Kant au même temps qu'il nie..."

I would add though that the rest of the sentence should read "One can imagine someone agreeing with the arguments of Kant, but denying..."

dawid

French
    Si tu trouves le son [que] redondant, tu peux très bien dire:

On peut imaginer quelqu'un acceptant les arguments...

Ou encore: il est facile d'imaginer quelqu'un acceptant...

Syntexte

Français
    By "literary", do you mean "having the characteristics of litterature" or literally ("in a literal sense") ? (You are right, this is well "agreeing with the arguments of'...)

Syntexte

Français
    Si tu trouves le son [que] redondant, tu peux très bien dire:

On peut imaginer quelqu'un acceptant les arguments...

Ou encore: il est facile d'imaginer quelqu'un acceptant...

Merci pour ta suggestion

lumino

English - Australia
    By "literary", do you mean "having the characteristics of litterature" or literally ("in a literal sense") ? (You are right, this is well "agreeing with the arguments of'...)
    "Literary" means "of literature" (as opposed to "literal"). What I meant was that the phrase you are trying to translate might appear in an essay, thesis or other academic work. It is not something you would say in conversation.

Syntexte

Français
    What I meant was that the phrase you are trying to translate might appear in an essay, thesis or other academic work. It is not something you would say in conversation.
    This is exactly the case : it comes from an academic work. So, this phrase is literary in english and clumsy in french.

< Previous | Next >