One compensation for not hibernating is the built-in urge to migrate.

< Previous | Next >

Simin93

Persian-Iran
Hello friends

Could you please tell me the meaning of underlined part in the bellow text:
Nearly any kind of plant of the forest understory can be part of a deer's diet. Where the forest inhibits the growth of grass and other meadow plants, the black-tailed deer browses on huckleberry, salal, dogwood, and almost any other shrub or herb. But this is fair-weather feeding. What keeps the black-tailed deer alive in the harsher seasons of plant decay and dormancy? One compensation for not hibernating is the built-in urge to migrate.

Reference: TOEFL Sample

Thank you in advance.

• Barque

Tamil
    She has told us what her question is, LC.
    Could you please tell me the meaning of underlined part in the bellow text:...One compensation for not hibernating is the built-in urge to migrate.
    Simin93, it means that animals that don't hibernate (as a means of surviving the winter/times of food scarcity) have another mechanism for coping with seasons when food is scarce and that is by migration to another area.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    These TOEFL sentences have a tendency to drive me up a wall.

A bear hibernates so it stores up fat and goes into a cave and slows down its metabolism. A deer goes to lower altitude where food is available. This is not the case in coastal California ridges where there isn't much freezing in the winter time.

< Previous | Next >