One day cricket/match, Test cricket/ match: Capitalization

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Englishmypassion, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    Hello Teachers,
    Namaskar!
    How would you write one day cricket/match, one day international matches and test cricket/match? I mean which letters would you capitalize in formal English?
    In the culture of the sport, the abbreviation ODIs for "one-day internationals" is very common, especially in the media, live commentary and among players.
    The OALD has "Test match" (with a capital "T") as a separate entry and also has "Test" as the fifth meaning of "test". But under the heading "Culture" in the entry for "cricket", the same dictionary writes "one-day matches" and "test matches" (all small letters).
    A big confusion.

Examples of my own:
    1. Sachin Tendulkar holds the world record for scoring most centuries and runs in one-day cricket/ international matches.
    2. Sachin Tendulkar also holds the world record for scoring most runs and centuries in Test cricket/matches.

I have been writing exactly as I have written the examples here.

Please enlighten me on this.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Interesting question and one that I probably should not comment on since my vast cricketing experience consists of playing in a single inter-company match in London in 1985.

First of all, the term "test match" has always seemed odd to me since a "match" is by definition, a "test."

I have no idea why the OALD (or anyone else) would want to capitalize "Test," since apparently the match is not named after a bloke named "Test." I do note, however, that Wikipedia also capitalizes "Test" on this web site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_cricket

Our dictionary here, however, has a test match entry distinctly lower case. Likewise, my Collins (British) dictionary leaves "test match" lower case.

And, my copy of Webster's New World College Dictionary (the one favored by American newspapers) is quite happy with "test match."

Moreover, see this thread, with information added by folks far more cricket-knowledgeable than I. test match, internationals

In other words, I cannot help you, but the research has been fascinating.:)

Oh, and by the way, I scored six runs, but my friends found my American-style batting stance most entertaining.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    I'd normally capitalise "Test" but not one-day internationals.

"Test" is a name used for a very specific category of match - five-day matches among the ten ICC full members or such others (Rest of the World vs. Australia, for example) that the ICC decides to call a Test. If I used the term "test match" (which I don't usually), I probably wouldn't capitalise "test".

A one-day international on the other hand (to me) simply means a one-day (an adjective) match between two international teams. It normally refers only to matches between ICC full or associate members, yes, but the term could apply just as well to a one-day match between two countries that aren't ICC members.

I'd capitalise the acronym ODI but that's to ensure it's recognised as an abbreviation and also because it's pronounced letter by letter and not as a single word.

4. Englishmypassion

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    Thank you very much, sdgraham and Barque. Sd, unfortunately I missed your match.:)
    Barque, but the OALD has an entry for "Test match". And yes, as you say, it also labels "Test" as the synonym of "Test match". So, you would also capitalize "Test' in "Test cricket", wouldn't you?

5. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    I wasn't going by the OALD. :) I was going by my personal preference.

No, I don't think I'd capitalise "test" in "test cricket".

6. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    I don't see any reason to capitalise any of these.

The only possible justification (which doesn't in fact apply to any of your examples) would be if there was one specific game distinct from all the others, such as: "The infamous Bodyline Bowling Test in the winter of 1932 was England's effort to cope with Don Bradman's impregnable batting".

7. Englishmypassion

Nainital
    India - Hindi

Thank you very much for your valuable guidance.

8. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
  9. sjj93gg

sjj93gg New Member

I don't know if this adds anything, but the Wikipedia discussion page has a section on whether to capitalize or not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Test_cricket#Capitalisation_of_.22Test.22

Reading a small sample of articles on the ICC's website, it would seem that they capitalize the word "test" when referring to the five-day matches. As the ICC (International Cricket Council) is the world governing body, I'd be more inclined to follow their practice.

10. sjj93gg

sjj93gg New Member

To add to that, it would seem that the august MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club - the custodians of the laws of the game) also capitalize the word "test":

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-c...ch=test+match&Category=&action_results=Search

When two such official organizations follow the same practice, it would seem to suggest that that is the accepted usage within the sport.

11. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    It appears that, online at least, ‘Test’ is capitalised by many UK newspapers, such as The Guardian, The Telegraph, and The Independent. The BBC, Wikipedia, The Cricketer, and MCC/Lord’s also do it.

I’ve no idea why :confused:

Cross-posted.

12. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    It's part of a plot for cricket to take over the world. It's already succeeded with the entire BBC Radio4 output.

13. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Sussex, GBR
    UK English
    I'm not particularly complaining... :D