One elephant is/has been killed in Africa every fifteen minutes.

< Previous | Next >

Vronsky

Russian - Russia
Hi there! Could you tell me wich of the following sentences is correct?

1) One elephant is killed in Africa every fifteen minutes.
2) One elephant has been killed in Africa every fifteen minutes.​

Thanks in advance!.

• Vronsky

Russian - Russia
    Thank you, e2efour!
    Actually, the sentence (2) is from a BBC video <-----Unauthorized video link removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Ok, I thought I clearly heard her saying "being".:)

Anyway, if you google "is being killed every * minutes", you do get several exampels with elephants. For "has been killed every * minutes", you'll get only one repeated example about Syrians. So the "is being" version seems to be much more common.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Is" says this is the current, ongoing rate of the killings.

"Has been" says this was the rate of killings up until now (but it may be different from now on).

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    "Has been" says this was the rate of killings up until now (but it may be different from now on). That is probably not what they mean.
    No, they didn't mean that, because I listened to the youtube video and the lady quite definitely says 'is being killed', which is of course as correct as 'is killed'. The only difference between the two in my opinion is that the progressive emphasises the 'on-going' aspect. The meaning is otherwise the same.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I only added post #11 to discuss the original grammar issue - it is in the title, so it may be found in future searches by readers wondering about "is" vs "has been". I should have left out my comments about what "they mean" in the video. I will edit those out of #11.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I would not use the present perfect fot this kind of sentences at all. I mean, when you point out the frequency of occurence of something.
    Again, in Google, you'll get 155 hits for "every * seconds * dies from", and none for "every * seconds * has died from".

< Previous | Next >