one minute at a time

billioon

Italy - Italian
Hi
many times I've heard to say about time passing by "day after day" "minute after minute" and I just read even "one minute at a time". But I think, I can just have a feeling that there's a subtle difference between them. Would you know tell me more about it?
Thanks

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Day after day etc is the gradual passing of time.
    One minute at a time is more living time to the full/every single moment.

Leo57

UK English
    Hi there... (A few corrections for you)
    I've heard it said many times about time passing by "day after day" "minute by minute" and I have just read even "one minute at a time". However, I think I have the/a feeling that there's a subtle difference between them. Would you be able to explain more about it? (OR Can anyone give me an explanation/can anyone explain more about this.)

• I think here is not really necessary as I have a feeling is sufficient, however, it is not especially wrong, after all you can also express yourself in your own unique way and in your own style!!
    • The reason for “Can anyone explain” is because you are asking anyone who happens to read your post to help
    In reply to your post, it has obviously been answered but I would like to add the following:

Day after day could mean that something is monotonous
    We do the same old thing day after day and I am getting really bored with it.
    Minute after minute (I have never heard this, but I am sure that it could be used at some point)
    Minute by minute however, means taking each step a minute at a time.
    It would be best if we deal with this minute by minute and not jump too far ahead of ourselves.

Hope this has helped
    Leo

billioon

Italy - Italian
    Hi there... (A few corrections for you)
    I've heard it said many times about time passing by "day after day" "minute by minute" and I have just read even "one minute at a time". However, I think I have the/a feeling that there's a subtle difference between them. Would you be able to explain more about it? (OR Can anyone give me an explanation/can anyone explain more about this.)

• I think here is not really necessary as I have a feeling is sufficient, however, it is not especially wrong, after all you can also express yourself in your own unique way and in your own style!!
    • The reason for “Can anyone explain” is because you are asking anyone who happens to read your post to help
    In reply to your post, it has obviously been answered but I would like to add the following:

Day after day could mean that something is monotonous
    We do the same old thing day after day and I am getting really bored with it.
    Minute after minute (I have never heard this, but I am sure that it could be used at some point)
    Minute by minute however, means taking each step a minute at a time.
    It would be best if we deal with this minute by minute and not jump too far ahead of ourselves.

Hope this has helped
    Leo

Hi
    Yes, it really helps. And it makes me come up with one more thing on "day after day". How do you feel with this: It's getting better day after day. I find in this context that not all the times it takes the meaning like something of monotonous.

monachina

English USA
    Hi
    Yes, it really helps. And it makes me come up with one more thing on "day after day". How do you feel with this: It's getting better day after day. I find in this context that not all the times it takes the meaning like something of monotonous.

I would say:
    "It's getting better day by day"

I think that using "by" often implies that there is a progression (something getting worse, better, bigger, etc):
    "Day by day the foal grew bigger and stronger."
    "Day by day the situation got worse."
    "Her health improved slowly but surely day by day."

As Leo mentioned, using "after" implies the continual recurrence of an event or situation for a relatively long time. It implies that the same thing is happening over and over again. It can imply monotony, but it does not have to be negative:
    "Day after day the sun shone warmly and brilliantly; it was the best vacation we have ever had."
    "Day after day I waited in vain for a letter to arrive"
    "Day after day flocks of birds flew over our house in their annual migration south."
    "I had to eat corn mush day after day, until I couldn't stand the sight of it any longer".

Cheers,
    Elena

Leo57

UK English
    Hi there to Monachina
    Excellent examples!!
    I forgot to look at the positive side and sometimes I worry too much about being too "long-winded" with my explanations. (I have found that explaining your own language is sometimes not that easy, but I am learning!!)
    Regards to all
    Leo

billioon

Italy - Italian
    I would say:
    "It's getting better day by day"

I think that using "by" often implies that there is a progression (something getting worse, better, bigger, etc):
    "Day by day the foal grew bigger and stronger."
    "Day by day the situation got worse."
    "Her health improved slowly but surely day by day."

As Leo mentioned, using "after" implies the continual recurrence of an event or situation for a relatively long time. It implies that the same thing is happening over and over again. It can imply monotony, but it does not have to be negative:
    "Day after day the sun shone warmly and brilliantly; it was the best vacation we have ever had."
    "Day after day I waited in vain for a letter to arrive"
    "Day after day flocks of birds flew over our house in their annual migration south."
    "I had to eat corn mush day after day, until I couldn't stand the sight of it any longer".

Cheers,
    Elena

Thanks Elena, that was even more of help, without removing anything to Leo's, thought, that was very useful to me.
    In fact the idea I was thinking of is exactly about the concept of progression througt the time, which now I understand better it takes "by".
    Give further understanding to me those examples on "day after day".
    Marco.

P.s. I think my last sentence is not so great... but if you get it, how would you put it??

monachina

English USA
    Thanks Elena, that was even more of help, without removing anything to Leo's, thought, that was very useful to me.
    In fact the idea I was thinking of is exactly about the concept of progression througt the time, which now I understand better it takes "by".
    Give further understanding to me those examples on "day after day".
    Marco.

P.s. I think my last sentence is not so great... but if you get it, how would you put it??

HI Marco,
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying in your last sentence. Are you asking me to give you more clarification? Or are you saying that those examples gave you a good understanding and you do not need further clarification?
    Elena

billioon

Italy - Italian
    HI Marco,
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying in your last sentence. Are you asking me to give you more clarification? Or are you saying that those examples gave you a good understanding and you do not need further clarification?
    Elena

Elena
    It was meant to say: (close to your second option) thanks for those others examples which has given me further informations (and comprehension) on this matter.
    I hope now be better.
    Thanks