One of each

< Previous | Next >

sinospeaker

USA
English, Chinese
I am a little confused with the term "one of each". When a person has a blue ball and a red ball, he asks you which one you want. If you answer "one of each". Does it mean you want all the balls he has or just one ball?

Last edited:
  • rhitagawr

British English
    If he had got one blue ball and one red ball and you wanted both of them, you'd say both. If he had several blue balls and several red balls and you wanted a blue ball and a red ball, you'd say one of each.

sinospeaker

USA
    English, Chinese
    If he had got one blue ball and one red ball and you wanted both of them, you'd say both. If he had several blue balls and several red balls and you wanted a blue ball and a red ball, you'd say one of each.
    Thanks so much for the quick answer. Now, can you also say "one for each" to mean one blue ball and one red ball? If you can, then what is the differnce between "one of each" and "one for each"?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    "For" usually suggests destination or purpose. So you could say:

I want one ball for each of my children.
    I want one of each colour for each of my friends.

But "one for each" does not mean one blue ball and one red ball.

Tatyana Popvasileva

Bulgarian - Bulgaria
    In an exercise for pointing out discrepancies I can't quite understand what should be queried in the following:
    'I've got three children - one of each.'
    Please, explain the meaning of what should be said in the respond: ' Wait a minute. One of each? I thought you said, you've got three children.'
    I can't understand it either.

TIA

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Welcome to the forum :),

It means "one of each (sex)", so if there are two children it means "one girl and one boy". The discrepancy is that here the speaker said they have three children.

< Previous | Next >