One of his interest is/In leisure time he likes

< Previous | Next >

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would like to ask you which of the expressions in bold is correct in the following sentence:
One of his interest is/In leisure time he likes the reading of the Financial Times (Commodities market section).

• knavishjoe

Polish - Poland
    To me, the second one is correct. The first one is incorrect because if you want to say "one out of many", you must use the plural -> "One of his interests is"

Language Hound

American English
    Neither actually.
    As proofreading is not allowed, please explain your particular difficulty or question.
    The thread title is "interest." Do you have a question about that?

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Neither actually.
    As proofreading is not allowed, please explain your particular difficulty or question.
    The thread title is "interest." Do you have a question about that?
    Yes, I want to ask if it is appropriate to use interest in the sentence above, or rephrase the sentence as I did. What do you say they are both incorrect?

Last edited:

Language Hound

American English
    I tend to associate an "interest" with a field or a thing such as finance, global warming, languages, etc., and
    not with the act of reading a newspaper, as in your example.

You have not provided any context for this sentence or told us exactly what you are trying to express
    so it is difficult to advise you. What I understand, based on your sentence alone, is, quite simply put:
    He likes to read the Financial Times.
    Or, He is interested in the commodities market and likes to read the Financial Times.
    One of his interests is/In his leisure time, he likes
    The second part of your sentence (non-bold) would need to be changed as well.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >