One of my favorite place ... or places?

< Previous | Next >

Ni Hen Meili

Singapore English
Hi Everyone,

I am confused whether which one is correct in the following sentences...place vs places

Shopping mall is one my favorite place to visit.
Shopping mall is one my favorite places to visit.

I feel it should be "places"? but what sounds ok to me is to use the word "place" (without s) ??

Appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!

-Ni Hen Meili

• crystal941

Mandarin-Cantonese
    I also felt confused about this.

I know that "one of my favourite places" is correct, just as "one of the most famous places".

I asked my kiwi teacher this question, but she didn't tell me why. She said it was a code of language.

Btw, I think "Shopping mall is my favourite place to visit" is also acceptable.

Ni Hen Meili

Singapore English
    I also felt confused about this.

I know that "one of my favourite places" is correct, just as "one of the most famous places".

I asked my kiwi teacher this question, but she didn't tell me why. She said it was a code of language.

Btw, I think "Shopping mall is my favourite place to visit" is also acceptable.

Thanks Crystal! Haven't heard that term code of language...but thanks for replying. I'll use places then.

pob14

American English
    The others are correct.

If you have only one favorite place, which is the mall, you would say:

The shopping mall is my favorite place to visit.

But if you have several favorites, and the mall is one of them (perhaps you also like the art museum and the zoo), you would say:

The shopping mall is one of my favorite places to visit.

susanna76

Romanian
    Hi there Ni Hen Meili and Crystal, the shopping mall is one of many places that you like. That's why places should be plural.

Last edited:

Ni Hen Meili

Singapore English
    The others are correct.

If you have only one favorite place, which is the mall, you would say:

The shopping mall is my favorite place to visit.

But if you have several favorites, and the mall is one of them (perhaps you also like the art museum and the zoo), you would say:

The shopping mall is one of my favorite places to visit.
    Thank you pob! Such a great help. :)

< Previous | Next >