one of my friend's village

< Previous | Next >

patrick combe

Spain and Spanish
A relative of mine has asked me if this expression is correct. She is describing a weekend away: "My friends and I went to El Burgo, one of my friends' village, to spend a weekend there". There are two questions I would like to raise here:
1) The use of 's possessive in the phrase "one of my friends' village". Is that correct? It sounds a bit awkward to me, but more English-like than "the village of one of my friends", because of the cacophony of repeating "of" twice.
2) The use of "village" to refer to a person's hometown. Again, I'm not one hundred per cent that this is correct English usage. It sounds to me Spanish with English words, and that she should have said "hometown" instead, no matter how small her place of birth was.

Thank you in advance

• Blues Piano Man

USA English
    A relative of mine has asked me if this expression is correct. She is describing a weekend away: "My friends and I went to El Burgo, one of my friends' village, to spend a weekend there". There are two questions I would like to raise here:
    1) The use of 's possessive in the phrase "one of my friends' village". Is that correct? It sounds a bit awkward to me, but more English-like than "the village of one of my friends", because of the cacophony of repeating "of" twice.
    2) The use of "village" to refer to a person's hometown. Again, I'm not one hundred per cent that this is correct English usage. It sounds to me Spanish with English words, and that she should have said "hometown" instead, no matter how small her place of birth was.

Thank you in advance
    Hi patrick,
    Welcome to the forum. :)

#2 is the easy part. Here in the US, one would say hometown.

In #1, the phrase itself is awkward, but not uncommon. I would probably say something like:
    "My friends and I spent a weekend in El Burgo, where one of my friends grew up."

or...
    "My friends and I went to El Burgo for a weekend, where one of them grew up."

The quote for the possessive in friends' bothers me. It looks weird because friends is plural and we're only talking about one friend. I guess we have to look at it as the possessive form of one-of-my-friends, which is singular but ending in "s."

Hope that helps,
    Blues :)

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    It sounds fine to me. Although I would use villages.

Whether or not you used village/home town etc would be entirely contextual.
    I wonder why you would do that when we're talking about a singular friend and one village.:confused:

In response to the original thread, one could say "My friends and I went to El Burgo, the village where one of them grew up/came from/was born, to spend a weekend there". :)

< Previous | Next >