one of our/your/their kind

tufguy

hindi
I would like to know about "one of our/your/their kind". For example "Human beings should not be fighting each other because we are one of our kind" or "dogs don't eat each other because they are one of their kind" or "we (human beings) cannot live without each others company because we need the company of our own kinds."

• Copyright

American English
    Human beings should not be fighting with each other because we are of the same kind.
    Dogs don't eat each other because they are of the same kind.
    (Really, they don't eat each other given half a chance and a bit of hunger?)
    We cannot live without each others' company because we need the company of our own kind.

tufguy

hindi
    Human beings should not be fighting with each other because we are of the same kind.
    Dogs don't eat each other because they are of the same kind.
    (Really, they don't eat each other given half a chance and a bit of hunger?)
    We cannot live without each others' company because we need the company of our own kind.
    Two thieves talking to each other about two other thieves "we should not be hating them we are thieves they are thieves too. "They are one of our kind."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "They are one of our kind."
    :cross:

'They' can't be described as 'one'.
    I'm not sure what your question is now and it would take a long time to outline the complicated usage of "kind''. I suggest you think about using 'the same (sort of/kind of) person/people as (pronoun)'.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    I think it's a case where English would not call for a noun at all. The two thieves (if they were as enlightened as you suggest) would be more likely to say. 'They are no different from us'.

Using 'your own kind' for people makes me think of racists, who sometimes use it to mean people with the same colour skin, or belonging to the same religion. This is probably why I consider it quite a sinister word.

In the case of the dogs, you could say: 'they don't eat their own kind', but to be honest I'd just say 'dogs don't eat other dogs'.

< Previous | Next >