One of parts is the ventilation unit. [singular for general statement?]

< Previous | Next >

minaret

Persian
hi

is this sentence right?

One of the foremost energy-consuming parts in buildings is the ventilation unit.

can I use "One" and "is" here? can I use the singular phrase "the ventilation unit" for the plural word "parts"?
I want to say that ventilation units are very energy-consuming.

thanks

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The head noun is one. That is singular. The verb needs to be singular as well, and so you are right to use is.

suzi br

English / England
    There are many energy consuming parts and if you were talking about all of them you would need a plural. However, you are not talking about all of them, you are talking about one of them and your sentence is grammatically correct.

minaret

Persian
    The head noun is one. That is singular. The verb needs to be singular as well, and so you are right to use is.
    thanks
    I wondered whether using "one" is right or wrong. Every building has its own ventilation unit, though I want to say that ventilation units in general are energy consuming.

minaret

Persian
    There are many energy consuming parts and if you were talking about all of them you would need a plural. However, you are not talking about all of them, you are talking about one of them and your sentence is grammatically correct.
    thank you suzi br

suzi br

English / England
    thanks
    I wondered whether using "one" is right or wrong. Every building has its own ventilation unit, though I want to say that ventilation units in general are energy consuming.
    Your choice is the simplest way of talking about the general situation and it will work fine this way. However, you need to look at your whole paragraph/text and make sure that your style is consistent throughout when you are talking about general features of all buildings.

minaret

Persian
    Your choice is the simplest way of talking about the general situation and it will work fine this way. However, you need to look at your whole paragraph/text and make sure that your style is consistent throughout when you are talking about general features of all buildings.
    you mentioned good points. thanks.

< Previous | Next >