one of the largest yet to look at the difference

< Previous | Next >
  • nike20008

French
    it means with this new study,which is one of the largest yet , we can (now) look at the difference between using fresh embryos and frozen embryos in IVF.

Last edited:

grimbergen

Korean
    Thank you so much for your help, nike20008! So, it means "The new study is one of the largest study, which has been conducted until now, to look at the difference between...." Thank you! Now I am totally clear about it! =)

nike20008

French
    Thank you so much for your help, nike20008! So, it means "The new study is one of the largest study, which has been conducted until now, to look at the difference between...." Thank you! Now I am totally clear about it! =)
    I'm not sure about those commas
    1) I'm not sure if it's okay to put a non defining adjective clause in that spot
    2) I think the underlined part is an adjective clause and it's an defining one ,therefore; there should be no commas.
    3) The original sentence sounds plain and simple to me .We should stick to it .

Last edited:

nike20008

French
    "The new study is one of the largest study studies :tick:
    The new study is one of the largest study, which has been conducted until now, to look at the difference between...

Is it possible to put a non defining clause in that place .
    I know it's surrounded by commas and the sentence would still make sense without it but still it looks kinda weird .

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I am disappointed that you did note the post you quoted: "The new study is one of the largest study studies :tick: You must use the plural!
    Not in the form you used it - that is a defining clause and it is not written idiomatically.

If you want to add a non-defining clause, it must be in relation to "The new study"

The new study, which was done on a Tuesday in August, (non-defining) is one of the largest studies that has been conducted so far (defining) to look at the difference between...

The defining clause is required to explain/define in what way it is "one of the largest".

nike20008

French
    the new study, which was done on a Tuesday in August, (non-defining) is one of the largest studies that has been conducted so far (defining) to look at the difference between...
    Sir, why did you not include "to look at the difference between using fresh embryos and frozen embryos in IVF" as part of the clause

What's the reason behind it?

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You asked
    The new study is one of the largest study, which has been conducted until now, to look at the difference between...

You did not put the phrase in there either...

When, in English, you see "..." it means that words have been omitted.

nike20008

French
    You askedYou did not put the phrase in there either...

When, in English, you see "..." it means that words have been omitted.
    I'm sorry, that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the fact you decided not to include "to look at the difference between..." as part of the clause or at least that seems the case since you did not bold it.

The new study, which was done on a Tuesday in August, (non-defining) is one of the largest studies that has been conducted so far (defining) to look at the difference between...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >