one of the recurring characters gets into a huge fight with her two-timing boyfriend

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
Below is an example sentence from Oxford Dictionary; so I have no contexts.

"For example, when one of the recurring characters gets into a huge fight with her two-timing boyfriend, Touma found himself biting his tongue."

I would like to know what "recurring characters" here mean? I understand it as a "character" in a film or TV series. Does "recurring characters" mean characters appear more than once on screen (suppose it's a TV series) . In the sentence, does " recurring characters" mean all the characters that have appeared on screen?

Thank you.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    In the dictionary, the sentence is an example of the use of the word "bite". Who knows what "recurring characters" means in that particular sentence? The word has its normal meaning I suppose: "appear more than once", but one would have to see the context to be sure what the reference is. Some characters in TV series appear in only one episode - others appear in several - they would be "recurring characters".

It can't mean "all the characters that have appeared on the screen". (See dictionary definition of "recurring")

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Recurring character - Wikipedia

A recurring character is a fictional character, usually in a prime time TV series, who often and frequently appears from time to time during the series' run.[1] Recurring characters often play major roles in more than one episode, sometimes being the main focus.
    Recurring characters usually start out as guest stars in one episode but continue to show up in future episodes if the storylines or actors are compelling enough. .............

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    True, Ylr, but the dictionary sentence doesn't mention that it refers to a TV series - so strictly speaking we don't know the context.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    The end of that Wikipedia article talks about "recurring characters" that are not related to TV, but since we can only quote four lines I didn't post those. Maybe it's different with Wikipedia.

< Previous | Next >