One of your most important

< Previous | Next >

nnyy

Japanese
One of your most important duties
One of your important duties

The right answer is the first one but I wonder if I can say the second one because I hear expressions like "one of my favorite movies" a lot. (Without most)
Can you help me with this?
Thank you.

• nnyy

Japanese
    <-----Threads have been merged at this point by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Maintaining leadership with our overseas agencies is one of your
    (Important/ most important) duties.

The answer is most important but I don't understand why important can't be correct. Please help me with this.
    Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Because "important" is capitalized there!:) An adjective is not usually capitalized in the middle of a sentence, unless it's been derived from a proper noun. If it were "important" rather than "Important", it would be correct too, though there would be a difference of meaning between the two versions, you see.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Maintaining leadership with our overseas agencies is one of your
    (Important/ most important) duties.

The answer is most important but I don't understand why important can't be correct. Please help me with this.
    Thank you.
    Ignoring the capital letter, "important" would sound odd in AE: "Maintaining leadership with our overseas agencies is one of your
    important duties." The sentence is about one duty. Changing "duties" to "important duties" is either bragging ("look how important you are") or adding a new topic to the sentence ("also, some of your duties are important").

With "more important", the whole sentence is about this duty, and says it is a high priority duty.

< Previous | Next >