One [On] memory lane two roads diverge in a yellow wood.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Could anyone please help me with the early part of the introductory passage of this book? I just can't figure it out. How am I supposed to parse 'One memory lane two roads'? Is this as a whole the sentence subject? Does this mean 'Two roads that run in one memory lane'?

One memory lane two roads diverge in a yellow wood, and Archie chose the left one, walking into one of two futures for him 5 years from now, a future in which he marries the very rich Veronica Lodge! And eventually becomes the father of twins! But our story begins before Veronica's pregnancy as their marriage affects and changes the lives of their friends and families, too, leading Riverdale to 'Lodge --- a Complaint!' (Archie, The Married Life)​

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Are you sure you copied this correctly? Was it "One memory lane", or "On memory lane"? (The paragraph doesn't make much more sense that way, but at least the first three words do.)

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Ah, you're right, Parla! My farsightedness must have become worse. A close look at it revealed it's just 'on,' not 'one.' Now it makes sense!:) I have to go throw in inquiries at 'ask docs' forums.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I am sure that if this was transcribed correctly by HSS, that it is a typo for "On memory lane . . ." It sure looks like an allusion to or evocation of the Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken":

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

< Previous | Next >