one piece of tangerine

< Previous | Next >
  • Packard

USA, English
    Here is a diagram showing all the parts of a citrus fruit (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, etc.)

As Owlman mentioned we would normally call it a segment or section (I call it a section); the scientific name is "carpel" and you probably will never hear that in conversation.

1574084111212.jpeg

kentix

English - U.S.
    If I was just causally offering someone a piece to eat I would just call it a piece. Or even more likely, "Do you want some?"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Do you want a bit of/some of my tangerine? A "piece" of tangerine sounds a little odd to me, but not incorrect.

If I were being very precise and offering only one segment, that is the word I'd use.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    I'd call it a piece (less likely a section) also, even if I know the person to whom I'm offering it knows the word 'segment' perfectly well. 'Segment' is rather technical for an everyday conversation in the break room at work.

Myridon

English - US
    "Piece" can be used for any fragment of a citrus fruit no matter how you've sliced it. Depending on the context, if you specifically want a segment/section, you may need to be more specific than "piece."

< Previous | Next >