One staff designated as French

• Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    Meredith, are you sure you are satisfied with that ? Can't you give us a bit more context or an explanation of the phrase so we can help you more ?

Meredith_R

Canada, English
    I am doing administrative work for the website I work for and I am translating the language field. It looks something like this:

Languages: 1 staff designated as French, most documentation availabe in French and also a French website

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    1 staff designated as French : Does that mean the job description states the holder of the position must absolutely be French-speaking ?

Meredith_R

Canada, English
    It means there is one person who has been hired that speaks French or has been hired because they speak French to provide French service if needed.

I think in British English "staff" in this context is always plural, so you would have to say "member of staff".

"One member of staff designated as French"

Not the question being asked though!

Am I right in thinking one could also use "effectifs" to mean staff?

"Un effectif désigné français" ??

claude123

France, French
    Langues : une personne assure le service en français et la plupart des documents, ainsi que le site internet, sont disponibles en français

Markus

Canada - English
    "One staff designated as French" doesn't mean much to me. In my mind it sounds like you're picking a staff member and saying, "You are now French!" It would make more sense to me if it was something like "One French-speaking staff member".

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    Languages: 1 staff designated as French, most documentation availabe in French and also a French website

Langues : 1 membre du personnel francophone, la majeure partie de la documentation disponible en français et également un site web en français

< Previous | Next >