one steaming heap of crapola

LV4-26

Good night there,

I've seen that on a message board.
I more or less get what it means (something like rubbish, I guess).

But I'd like you to comment.

1. Is it a phrase you've already heard ?

2. Does crapola have something to do with crap ?

3. Have you got an idea about its etymology (for instance, is it common to add -ola as a suffix to slang - or otherwise - words ?)

PS : I like that :)

Thanks very much in advance
Jean-Michel

Sorry, forgot to give the context. It's supposed to refer to an old computer totally outdated.

• Kelly B

USA English
    Imagine that you are at the zoo, early in the morning, a light frost on the grass. Crystals from your breath sparkle in the low morning sunlight.
    As you pass the elephant enclosure, the resident releases

a steaming heap of ... well, it is actually dung, but it makes the image, no? Yes, crapola/crap/merde are all closely related.

A link on -ola: I didn't find it terribly informative, though. http://www.infoplease.com/ipd/A0565774.html

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Jean-Michel,
    \
    LV4-26 said:
    1. Is it a phrase you've already heard ? It is not a set phrase, but a strong use of imagery.

2. Does crapola have something to do with crap ? It may be, in this instance, an emphatic form of crap.
    The 'steaming heap' evokes a vision of a large pile of freshly deposited excrement from a large animal.

3. Have you got an idea about its etymology (for instance, is it common to add -ola as a suffix to slang - or otherwise - words ?) "ola" is sometimes added to nouns, but off the top of my head, only 'payola' comes to mind. That is a bribe...from pay+ola.

PS : I like that :) Ditto! It's a good negative image.

Thanks very much in advance
    Jean-Michel

Sorry, forgot to give the context. It's supposed to refer to an old computer totally outdated. I'm tempted to use the phrase for any code marketed by MSoft:D
    Bravo Kelly B for the poetic description of the packaderm packet. ;)

< Previous | Next >