One word verb meaning to play the clarinet please?

< Previous | Next >
  • Juhasz

English - United States
    What's wrong with clarineting? It follows the same pattern as trumpeting and drumming, is unlikely to be confused with any other activity and hits the ear pleasantly enough (as opposed to, say, oboeing).

Myridon

English - US
    What's wrong with clarineting? It follows the same pattern as trumpeting and drumming, is unlikely to be confused with any other activity and hits the ear pleasantly enough (as opposed to, say, oboeing).
    Musicians don't say a trumpeter trumpets either. Trumpeting is the noise made by an elephant or a trumpeter swan. Drumming is what you do when you strike your fingers against the table repeatedly.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The verb to noodle is sometimes used to mean playing the clarinet, especially playing in which one is not trying to reach the highest levels of virtuosity. This page is one example of this usage. Musicians will know it; the general public might not.

Juhasz

English - United States
    Musicians don't say a trumpeter trumpets either.
    But perhaps they should. It's clear from the word trumpeter that such a person is one who trumpets (as a waiter is one who waits, a butler is one who buttles, etc), and the same could be said of a drummer (one who drums). But by this same logic, to piano wouldn't be acceptable, since one is not a pianoer, but a pianist; thus, flautists don't flute, trombonists don't trombone, violinists don't violin (on the other hand, fiddlers do fiddle).

This is all to say, my original answer was wrong, since it's not clarineter, but clarinetist.

Andygc

British English
    Drumming is what you do when you strike your fingers against the table repeatedly.
    It is also what drummers do:
    On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:
    Twelve Drummers Drumming
    Eleven Pipers Piping
    Ten Lords a Leaping
    and pipers pipe.

As for "trumpet", the original meaning of the verb is "to play a trumpet", and "to bugle" means "to play a bugle" - just as "to harp" means "to play on a harp" and "to fiddle" can mean "to play a fiddle".
    flautists don't flute
    But they do
    1842 Tennyson To E. L. vi, To him who sat upon the rocks, And fluted to the morning sea.
    All of those meanings go back a very long way. Perhaps the clarinet is too modern an instrument for the noun to also provide the verb.

Packard

USA, English
    I guess as a back formation of "clarinetist" it can be used. I guess that "clarinetist" is a back formation from "clarinet" so that would be precedence. I'd place it in quotation marks if I used it. I'm sure that "clarinetting" will get flagged by my spell checker (it does).

But I see that the word does get used:

Note that Wiki found it better to use the phrase "musicians who have played the clarinet."

List of clarinetists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of clarinetists
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article lists notable musicians who have played the clarinet.

Myridon

English - US
    I've been in high school band myself (coronet) and several members of my family are percussionists (one even has a degree in percussion performance). None of them would say "I can't come to the phone right now; I'm drumming." ;)

< Previous | Next >