one's peer

< Previous | Next >

LondonFast90

Italian
the sentence is the following: "The combination of different types of identity is not easy to manage, especially when different interests coexist in the same research project: choices need to be made, for example, between loyalty to the research institution, the funding body, the publisher and one’s peer"
Can someone tell me what's the meaning of one's peer and in which cases I can use it?

• LondonFast90

Italian
    the sentence I quoted was in a pragmatic english book, and more specifically, it was about scholars writing a research article, or a book on something innovative. the concept conveyed, here, is that scholars have to choose between the wants of the institutions, the funding body or the publisher and direct towards one of them their acknowldges. the purpose of the book has to be only one.

Copyright

American English
    Can someone tell me what's the meaning of one's peer and in which cases I can use it?
    It's a word easily found the in WR dictionary: peer: a person who is of equal standing with another in a group.

In your quoted material, I would be surprised if the word weren't plural -- peers.

< Previous | Next >