Ones/those

< Previous | Next >

Funambule

Dutch
Hello,

1a) What kind of cakes do you like? Ones with cream inside.
1b) What kind of cakes do you like? Those with cream inside.

Is there any difference in meaning between 1a and 1b? I suppose there could be. Wouldn't you expect 1b instead of 1a when the is a choice to make between a limited number of cakes (two sorts of cakes on the table for example) and 1a instead of 1b when there is a choice to make between every knowable cake?

thanks,

Funambule

• FrankyFourFingers

Portuguese
    Hello,

Is there any difference in meaning between 1a and 1b? I suppose there could be. Wouldn't you expect 1b instead of 1a when the is a choice to make between a limited number of cakes (two sorts of cakes on the table for example) and 1a instead of 1b when there is a choice to make between every knowable cake?

thanks,

Funambule

1a) Sounds really odd to me, I guess "THE ones with cream inside" would be better, wouldn't it?

Alisterio

UK English
    I think the only difference is one of register: "ones with cream inside" is a more day-to-day, conversational expression, whereas "those with cream inside" sounds like a formulation you would use more often in writing rather than speech.

"The ones with cream inside" you would use when you're talking about an actual group of cakes, perhaps when they're sitting in front of you on a plate, rather than just "cakes" in a general, hypothetical sense.

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    Hello,

thanks,

Funambule
    SAME. However, I would make it cake, not cakes.

< Previous | Next >