online consumer review

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following examples I created.

1. Did you check online consumer reviews when you were considering buying a new car? (A question by an interviewer in a face-to-face survey)
2. This new brand of canned pineapple tastes too sweet. I should've checked consumer reviews online first. (A statement in a conversation with a friend)

I added "consumer" because the speakers wanted to exclude professional reviews (which are often not as trustworthy as consumer reviews).
So "consumer" seems necessary, but "online" is probably unnecessary, since consumer reviews are only available online (i.e. you can't find them in magazines, newspapers, etc.)

What do you think?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Very few people would say "consumer review"; "review" in most cases now means consumer review, and in any case with such a wide range of reviews available at the click of a button, people will choose the reviews they think they can trust, be they consumer or professional.

I would much rather keep online, but you are right that it is unnecessary with "consumer".

meijin

Japanese
    Thanks Uncle Jack. I'll say "online reviews" (without "consumer") in a conversation with friends etc. and will use "consumer reviews" (without "online") only when the distinction is necessary, in a questionnaire etc.

< Previous | Next >