online security/system

beri

France
Here is the whole original text:
exercise for actors, by a famous actor's coach
Sal: [is a new stand-up comic in the middle of his/her first important gig]. Hey, come on, folks, stay with me, no one is perfect! [a few chuckles] Thank you - - you're very sympathetic - - now, I'm sure you'll understand my pain ... can we talk ... let's talk about my online security being impossible to break – even I can't get in ... [Sal fakes tears] Not only is security a problem – the damn online services have been down so long – I have to trade it for depression ... [Sal fakes tears] It's so sad ... my online system has left me so poor – I got married just so I could get the rice ...

I can't figure out what he/she means with those online-things :(:eek:
Tenkyu :p

• Vikta

English/French/Spanish Canada
    Um...you're using the internet right now so I guess you're very knew at it... because ONLINE means "on the internet", at least in this context.

So "online security" or "online services" means she uses the internet for some work or what not, and that she has a firewall or something (firewall= type of protection for your CPU from the Internet)

daoxunchang

Chinese China
    Really, I find it impossible for me to understand the words. It seems to me that the sayer is talking nonsense. And unfortunately, Vikta's explanation does not make it clearer. I know what on-line and firewall means. But I don't know what they mean in this text.

Moogey

USA English
    Vikta said:
    Um...you're using the internet right now so I guess you're very new to it... because ONLINE means "on the internet", at least in this context.

So "online security" or "online services" means she uses the internet for some work or whatnot, and that she has a firewall or something (firewall= type of protection for your CPU from the Internet)
    Firstly, I made a little correction :)

Secondly, firewalls do not provide protection for the CPU. It protects your computer (more specifically your hard drive) from the outside world.

Also, "online services" doesn't only relate to firewalls. Neither does "online security"

"Online" in the case cited above means relating to the internet. Services that have to do with the internet, security relating to the internet (for you from the world!)

-M

Nick

USA, English
    "let's talk about my online security being impossible to break – even I can't get in"

Online security would mean some sort of computer system designd to protect Internet resources (eg: prevent unknown users from changing a company's website, or only allow people with a valid password to access shared files). If the security is impossible to break then that means it is flawless (no unauthorized access). In other words, the only people who can get past the system are the people who should be able to.

"Not only is security a problem – the damn online services have been down so long"

I'm guessing that online service refers to Internet access. It could mean that the computer with his Internet resources (eg: his website) has been unable to access the Internet in general (so his website has been unavailable to visitors). I have no clear idea really.

Sorry... does this help at all?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sal is a new stand-up comic on his first gig.
    The text is not meant to be a dissertation on Internet security:) In fact, it may well have been written by someone with a very sketchy understanding of Internet security - or terminology in general. It is meant to be comedy, not teaching, so don't expect precision.
    I hope that it is actually meant to be not funny :D
    let's talk about my online security being impossible to break – even I can't get in ...
    [Sal fakes tears] Not only is security a problem – the damn online services have been down so long – I have to trade it for depression ...
    [Sal fakes tears] It's so sad ... my online system has left me so poor – I got married just so I could get the rice ...

It seems that Sal has some kind of Internet business - it doesn't matter what. He runs the business on a computer somewhere - that is probably his online services, although that phrase might also refer to the services that connect his computer to the Internet - in fact it doesn't matter.

He has security arrangements in place to prevent bad people doing bad things to his online business - his online security.

< Previous | Next >