only hope

< Previous | Next >

OnlyHope

English - Canadian
What is "only hope" in spanish?
I looked it up on some translation sites and it says that it is "sólo espero", but then I met someone the other day and they said "sólo espero" meant "I only wait" or "I wait alone".
Can you help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Lavernock

wales English
    What is "only hope" in spanish?
    I looked it up on some translation sites and it says that it is "sólo espero", but then I met someone the other day and they said "sólo espero" meant "I only wait" or "I wait alone".
    Can you help me out?

Give us a whole sentence , the translation depends on the way you want to use it.

gengo

American English
    What is "only hope" in Spanish?
    Well, "sólo espero", with an accent mark, cannot mean "I wait alone," which would be "solo espero" or "espero solo." With the accent, sólo means "only." That is the purpose of the accent, to distinguish the two meanings.

As stated above, you can't ask such questions without giving context, because we can't answer without context.

Poquoson711

English - USA
    The example that comes to my mind is, "You are my only hope!" --> "Eres mi única esperanza!" This is very different from "I only hope that it doesn't rain tomorrow." --> "Sólo espero que no llueva mañana." It depends on whether "hope" is used as a noun or a verb...

Niclass

Español - Porteño(Argentina)
    lo se, pero creo que nuestro amigo "onlyhope" lo pregunta sin contexto si no me equivoco

< Previous | Next >