"only now"or"only for"? in "only now exists for such linkage

Mensu

Chinese
Hi,

When I was reading this article I found this sentence unclear to me:
It is my contention that the technology only now exists for such linkage.

The greatest technical hurdle to such endeavour is of course the reconnection of the donor's and recipient's spinal cords. It is my contention that the technology only now exists for such linkage.
(By Hayley Dixon, 8:59AM BST 02 Jul 2013, extracted from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/10154240/First-human-head-transplant-now-possible-neurosurgeon-claims.html)

I wonder which "only" means here: "only now" or "only for such linkage"
I would think "now" is the closest to "only" so it might mean "only now", but I wonder whether or not it would sound a bit illogical: "why now?"; "only for such linkage" makes more sense to me but isn't it too far from "only"?Shouldn't it be "the technology now only exists for such linkage"?

Could you help me make it clear?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Greyfriar

Hello mensu,

Previously the technology for spinal cord reconnection from a donor was unknown.

'Only now' does the technology exist for 'such linkage'.

In other words such a procedure would be a pioneering one, i.e. the first to be carried out.

So 'only' means 'only now' (at the present time).

Mensu

Chinese
    Hello mensu,

Previously the technology for spinal cord reconnection from a donor was unknown.

'Only now' does the technology exist for 'such linkage'.

In other words such a procedure would be a pioneering one, i.e. the first to be carried out.

So 'only' means 'only now' (at the present time).
    Thank you very much! It's helpful!

I now take it like this:
    x= not exist, √= exist
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx√
    ----- Past ---- now

→"only 'now'"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It should be said that the original sentence seems to be spoken by a non-native speaker. More properly he might have said: "...that only now does the technology exist for such a linkage"

< Previous | Next >