Only this sentence

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I was talking to a foreigner, and later when I knew that he's from Spain, a native speaker. I used a piece of Spanish. And he was surprised to ask:

Oh, you speak Spanish. (He thought I spoke only English)

And I said:

Only this sentence. (What I said in Spanish is "I'm from the US". I was joking, of course.)

I wonder if "Only this sentence" is natural in this context to mean "I actually can only speak one sentence and this is it.")

Thanks a lot

• owlman5

English-US
    Did he understand what you meant, Silver? If he didn't, it would probably be a little clearer to say "I only know three words of Spanish" or "I only know a few words."

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a zillion, Owlman. I'd like to be more specific:

I met a Spanish the other day. I talked to him in English at first. Later when he said he's from Spain. Then he asked where I came from, I said: "Estados Unidos de America" and he was surprised to learn that I speak Spanish. You can imagine that when a foreigner in China met someone who speaks the same language as he does and he says "Oh, you speak Spanish". Then I told him: Only this sentence. (I don't want to discourage him, I just want to tell him that I can speak only this sentence becuase I learned it online. Since my uncle speaks very good Spanish, I want to be like him.).

But your recommendations are perfect, Owlman.

Thanks a lot

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Since the sentence in Spanish had already been spoken, "Only that sentence" would be natural.

If you were about to say the sentence, you'd say "Only this sentence: I live in the US".

< Previous | Next >