oops

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Palestinian Arabic the closest equivalent would be يي (pronounced yii or - more emphatically - yiyy).

We also use له له (lah lah) and العمى (il3ama) - the latter more rarely - but unlike "oops" له له isn't usually used as a spontaneous reaction to a mishap. العمى can be used that way but as I said it's rare and mostly used by women.

أخ I would equate with "ouch" - i.e. it's mostly used when the person is in pain.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I say this's a decent one for 'oops' :thumbsup:.
    I just want to clarify that this is not used to mean "oops" in Palestinian Arabic.
    Though the ء is not often pronounced, AFAIK.
    In that case, I would emphatically advise against using it in Palestinian Arabic. :D We use "afa" as a euphemism for the posterior!

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    I just want to clarify that this is not used to mean "oops" in Palestinian Arabic.
    In that case, I would emphatically advise against using it in Palestinian Arabic. :D We use "afa" as a euphemism for the posterior!
    أفاء our "afa" :) is different from yours , Elroy.Your "afa" written as :
    أفى : قفى Notice the broad difference

nono_footballic

egypt - arabic,english
    Well..in Egyptian Arabic, we say "yii" or "oofff" ..so it's like this "yii..ghelet" or "ooff.ghelet" (oops I made a mistake)

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means. :eek: Could you explain?

(I have no idea how your "afa" is pronounced. I was going off of the written form and the transliteration.)

Wadi Hanifa is right.As far I know and perceive is this :

1."afa" is for a slight mistake
    2."affa" doubled"f"(as mentioned by Wadi) for a big mistake